The week before the “big day” we worked on extending the floor of the hallway. This would eventually become part of the bathroom. The doorway you see directly behind me will get moved forward almost to the post you see in the front of the picture.
One of the first steps on the big day in the bathroom demo process was ripping out the floor so the plumber could do his job. That morning we had a full working shower and toilet. By the end of the day, we would have taken that all out, removed the floor and subloor, replaced the subfloor, reinstall the toilet, and hook up the new jacuzzi. It was a log day that started out looking like this…
This was just after we removed the shower, ad were working on taking out the subfoor. The guy you see with me is my father in-law (FIL). He was a tremendous help that day, and is a reliable source of information when it comes to complete overhauls of houses.
This is one of the few pictures where you can see the door to the attic on the right hand side. The placement of the bathroom sink makes it difficult to open the door completely. It’s a strange design that makes me wonder what the original owners were drinking when they built the house.
We hauled out several trashcan full loads of debris that day. It was dirty, and of course, 30 degrees hotter than it needed to be that day.
Shower surround gone! Shower head still available for emergencies! One of the highlights of that day was the paying the plumber. We were originally quoted several hundred more than he ended up charging us. Bonus! And he spent a long time helping us install the subfloor.
By the end of the day we had a working shower and toilet (no walls in the bathroom, but you can’t have everything!)
Just a few notes on the floor….
We planned on installing tile in the bathroom, and with an old house the floors were a bit springy, so we put down 2 layers of 3/4″ tongue and groove plywood held together with subfloor adhesives and a ton a nails. On top of that will eventually be a cement backer board. It ended up being one of the more solid floors in the house.
In part 3 I’ll wrap up this project and bring you all up to speed with a current laundry closet project that is brewing. More on that in a few days!