This Retaining Wall Wasn’t Built in a Day

Have you ever heard the saying “Rome wasn’t built in a day”? Well, this retaining wall wasn’t built in a day. Even if we had the time to build it in a day, I’m not sure my back could take it. The project started off with a new driveway. In past winters we’ve had to shuffle cars around to dodge the winter parking regulations in Bangor. Sara gets home before me, but leaves earlier than me., so I would get home after work and either drive up over the lawn to get behind her car, or move her car out and mine in and then hers back in. It was a pain in the ass. Not knowing how much a new driveway would cost we always put it off. One spring day I decided to call a neighbor who owns a paving business to see how much it would cost. After he gave me the quote I couldn’t stop thinking about it and how convenient it would be in the winter (and it would really add to the look of the house). We set a date to have it done. First step was to dig out the old driveway and set the base in for a few weeks. Here is a look at the before and initial work on the widening.
driveway1

Not very pretty, eh? When we got back from a trip to Arizona, the first step had been done. We decided to have the walkway to the porch prepped for pavers, or something, that we will eventually put in.

driveway2

Already a huge improvement. This will allow us to park side by side… and in the winter I’ll be able to store my new boat in the back of the driveway and the cars up front. Of course I’m dreaming, but whatevs.

So the driveway sat this way for 2 weeks or so. Just enough time to let the base set. I may have ruined the clutch in my truck driving back and forth to pack it down. If I had a steamroller I would have used that, but who has a steam roller? Nobody.

driveway3

And here is the paved driveway. They did a great job, and I’d like to think that I got the friendly neighbor discount 🙂

One problem that we were left with was the side of the house with the sloped lawn. It was useless space. We could have seeded it but I wanted to put up a retaining wall to clean up the side. I started off by digging a trench along the edge of the driveway and setting a level line from one end to the other. You can kinda see it in this picture.

driveway5

I’m not gonna lie and say this was the easiest process. First off, I made about half a dozen trips to Lowes to get the bricks. My truck (and back) can only handle a few hundred pounds at a time. I did about 15-20 bricks at a time, setting the paver base and tampering as I went along. The wall isn’t level with the driveway, but level with the house, so the tallest part of the wall is towards the front of the house. The further back it goes, the fewer bricks I needed. In the end it turned out looking pretty good.

driveway6

driveway7

We backfilled with what was dug out from the trench, but eventually we’ll roto’till some fertilized soil on the top for the plants. The original plan was to install some lights in the wall that would shine down onto the driveway, but I didn’t find anything cheap enough that would have worked well for that purpose, so that is on hold for now. We may just opt with lights in the flower garden.

Here is a before and after so you don’t have to scroll.

driveway before-after

And there it is! More progress towards cleaning up the outside of the house! Shutters and flowers soon 🙂 Some work has been done to the dining room and laundry closet as well. More on those once it is finished up.

signature

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under Exterior

One response to “This Retaining Wall Wasn’t Built in a Day

  1. Pingback: Straight out of “Compostin” | Renoventures

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s